South Middle School Guidance Department
We believe that all students benefit from a program that fosters academic, career and personal/social development to ensure that every student becomes a socially, emotionally adjusted, contributing member of society. We are committed to doing "Whatever It Takes" to accomplish this goal.
- School Counseling programs support each school's academic mission.
- School Counselors advocate for comprehensive, developmental guidance programs.
- School Counselors advocate for safe schools and foster a nurturing school environment.
- School Counselors are knowledgeable about their school's resources and programs.
- School Counselors collaborate with other stakeholders to ensure all students’ academic, career, and personal; /social needs are met.
- School Counselors work collaboratively with others to support the mental health needs of students.
- School Counselors keep up to date with new and changing programs, researched best practices, resources, curriculum, policy changes, and post-secondary and work place changes.
- School Counselors attend local, state, and national professional development opportunities to assure they remain highly qualified professionals.
- School Counselors follow ethical guidelines to assure the well-being of students, parents and school staff, and the integrity of the School Counseling Program.
American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Position:
Professional school counselors recognize their primary obligation for confidentiality is to the student but balance that obligation with an understanding of the legal and inherent rights of parents or guardians to be the guiding voice in their children's lives.