I Received a Legal Notice, Now What???
If you received a Legal Notice, either by personal service or mail, please ensure that you adhere to the below listed procedure.
- Make contact, either face to face or via the telephone, with the school contact indicated on the Legal Notice within the appropriate time frame.
- Take corrective actions to ensure that your child does not accrue additional unexcused absences. Please note unexcused absences already accrued will not be re-coded.
- Talk with your child; ensure that they understand the importance of turning in notes. Develop a plan with them as to how they will turn in notes. This will help teach them responsibility.
- Plan to attend the meeting
indicated on the Legal Notice. This meeting will take place at the school your
child attends. If you are unable to attend the pre-scheduled meeting, you must
make contact with the school or county attendance worker to reschedule the
meeting (contact name and number is listed on the Legal Notice). If you do not
attend the meeting and do not make contact with the school or attendance worker
and your child accrues 10 unexcused days absent, legal proceedings will be
pursued by the Department of Attendance.
- We take the safety of your child very seriously. We are accountable for them when they are in school. Providing a note when your child is absent from school, ensures that the child’s whereabouts is known by both the school and parent.