What is Project AWARE?
Project AWARE is a grant program designed to help state and local education agencies:
Our nation has suffered too much at the hands of dangerous people who use guns to commit horrific acts of violence. As President Obama said following the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy, “We won’t be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing that we can do to prevent any of these events, we have a deep obligation, all of us, to try.” Presidential Initiative – Barack Obama
- Increase awareness of mental health issues among school-age youth
- Train educators and other youth-serving adults in Youth Mental Health First so they maydetect and respond to mental health issues
- Connect children, youth, and families who may experience behavioral health issues with appropriate services
What Will Project AWARE Do for You?
- Integrate mental, behavioral, and emotional health
- Provide students and families access to school-based therapy when appropriate
How long is the training for school personnel?
- Ensure training of school personnel to detect and respond to mental health conditions using evidence-based YMHFA training
- Training is 8 hrs total