How to Get Started at HMS
We would love to have our dads and father figures volunteer at least one day in the year at HMS if you are part of our Watch D.O.G.S. program. If you would like to be part of HMS Watch D.O.G.S., please attend our Pizza Night in September to sign up or complete the following Registration Form and email it it Mrs. Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also return the Registration Form to the HMS office throughout the year. When you attend the pizza night, we will have a calendar where you can pick your date to volunteer. We do ask that dads purchase the secondary Watch D.O.G.S. shirt through the website and wear the shirt the day you come to volunteer at HMS.
On the Day You Volunteer...
Please report to the main office first to sign in and get a visitor sticker. You will also see one of the HMS counselors who has created a schedule for you for the day. You will probably shadow your own student for some classes, but you will also be in other classes to help teachers and students where needed. Be sure to check out do's and don'ts on the left.
Dos & Don'ts
These men will:
- Always wear official WatchDOGS T-shirts while they are on official WatchDOG duty
- ENCOURAGE STUDENTS! (with lots of smiles and high-fives, etc.)
- Monitor hallways and entrances
- Monitor buildings - inside and outside
- Use the faculty/staff restroom in the office building
- Assist at lunch
- Assist at recess and social times
- Eat lunch with students
- Play or referee on the playground or in the gymnasium
- Read with classes
- Actively and positively engage with their student and others
- Speak to classes about importance of education
- Be available to mentor male students
- Be chaperones on field trips
- Support arts classes (e.g. art, music) with your presence and/or experience
- Smile and be a hero for a day!
These men should NOT:
- Go into students' (girls' or boys') restrooms
- Be alone or unsupervised with students
- Espouse political or religious beliefs to students
- Sell or give their official WatchDOG T-shirt to someone who isn't an approved WatchDOG volunteer.
- Engage in any conduct that brings disrespect to himself or his student(s), to the school, or to the WatchDOGS Program and other volunteering fathers.
- No use of cell phones inside the school