Our School Counselors Care About Our Students!
Our school counselors focus on academic, career, and personal development to ensure that every student benefits from a program that is comprehensive in scope, preventative in design, and developmental in nature.
Here you will find helpful school counseling resources for your Winchester Avenue student and your family!
Meet the Counselor
Dominic K. Allen, MSW
- Graduated with Masters of Social Work from Marshall University
- Worked with students and families, teaching coping skills and mindfulness activities
- Recipient of the Strengthening Training for Addiction Recovery (STAR) Scholarship and State Opioid Response (SORS) Grant Funds
The topics or themes that the school counselor teaches are:
- Bullying Prevention
- Goal Setting
- Managing Worry/Stress
- Conflict Resolution
- Managing Anger/Frustration
Mission & Vision
The mission of the school counseling department at Winchester Avenue Elementary is to provide a comprehensive school counseling program that is preventative in design, and fosters the academic, career and personal/social development of all students. Additionally it is our goal to give all students the opportunities they need to acquire the knowledge and skills to meet their highest potential, become lifelong learners, and responsible, contributing citizens in our society.
- The school counseling program support’s Winchester Avenue’s academic mission which is to build STRONG leaders and GREAT Learners…. All Day! Everyday!
- School counselors advocate for comprehensive, development guidance programs.
- School counselors advocate for safe schools and foster a nurturing school environment.
- School counselors serve as advocates for ALL students.
- School counselors are knowledgeable about their school’s resources and programs.
- School counselors collaborate with other stakeholders to ensure all students academic, career and personal/social needs are met.
- School counselor work collaboratively with others to support the mental health needs of students.
- School counselors keep up to date with new and changing programs, researched best practices, resources, curriculum, policy changes, and post secondary and work place changes.
- School counselors attend local, state and national professional development opportunities to assure they remain highly qualified professionals.
- School counselors follow ethical guidelines to assure the well-being of students, parents and school staff and the integrity of the school counseling program.