Return to Headlines

Early Retirement Incentive FAQ

  • How do I get the $500.00 early notification incentive?
    You must submit your letter of retirement on or before March 2, 2020, to be effective at the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
  • How do I know if I am eligible to retire?
    It is recommended that you request a retirement estimate from the WV Consolidated Public Retirement Board (WVCPRB),, well in advance of your notice of retirement. The estimate will give you information about your eligibility. You may also contact Chris Effland at 304.267.3500.
  • How do I know how much retirement income I will get?
    The retirement estimate will give you various options regarding retirement income.
  • When do I have to notify Berkeley County Schools?
    To receive the early retirement notification bonus, written notice must be received on or before March 2, 2020 in the Human Resources Department of Berkeley County Schools.
  • Who do I tell?
    You must submit your notice in writing to Dr. Justin Schooley at the Department of Human Resources. Requesting your estimate from the WVCPRB does not qualify as an official notification of your retirement.
  • What about Health Insurance?
    Please contact Debbie Walker at, to schedule an appointment to discuss retirement health insurance options and estimates.
  • Does my notification have to be in writing?
    Yes. It may be either in letter form or an email addressed to Dr. Justin Schooley, Assistant Superintendent at
  • Can I change my mind once I have submitted my retirement notice?
    Once your retirement has been approved by the Berkeley County Board of Education, your position will be declared final and vacant. You may not ask to rescind and be placed back into your original position.
  • What if I want to leave before my contract ends?
    You may retire prior to the end of your contract period; however, you will not qualify for the early retirement notification bonus.
  • May I substitute in a critical needs area in 2020-2021?
    Retirees are limited to 140 days in any school year as a substitute. However, some retirees may qualify to work beyond the 140 days in a critical needs area. If you work in the month of June 2020 and receive retirement benefits as of July 1, 2020, you may not be eligible to work as a critical needs sub beyond 140 days.
  • How do I get on the substitute list? Email Lauren Garrett ( for additional information.