Berkeley County Diversity Council
The Berkeley County Board of Education established its first Minority Diversity Committee in December 1988. Since its mission encompassed many issues relating to multiculturalism and diversity, the title was changed to Minority AD Hoc Committee. The original group consisted of:
- 15 minority community leaders
- 2 minority student representatives
- 7 educators, including teachers, administrators, board members and the superintendent.
The Committee met twice a year. Its mission was to provide the Superintendent and staff with input and direction on topics of minority history, minority recruitment of teachers and administrators and multicultural studies in the Berkeley County Curriculum.
The Committee's Past Accomplishments
- Advocation for multicultural classes at the three high schools
- Multicultural teacher-training (alternating years) and staff development
- Program Board development programs for Committee members and community
- Hispanic Handbook and phone-voice mail activated resource
- Recruitment advertisement in Black Issues in High Education
- Annual student trips to Civil Rights Summit in Charleston
- Wrote Grow Your Own Teachers (GYOT) proposal
The Council's Recent Accomplishments
- Program board development programs for Council members and the community.
- Collaboration with Delta Sigma Theta Sorority to educate students and parents regarding financial resources for higher education.
- Collaboration with Wrighteous Records on Student Trips to HBCU college fairs.
The Council's Future Goals
- Recruit diverse volunteers and staff that represent the student population.
- Monitor dropout and graduation rates among the four high schools.
- Educate students and parents regarding scholarships and grants as well as educational and work opportunities.
The Council presently meets monthly during the school year. Please click on the following link to access the Council's brochure, which includes meeting dates: Diversity Council Brochure
For more information, contact Damon Wright, Council President, at email@example.com.